So about a week ago (before Emmy and I got the worst stomach flu on earth), my father taught me a lesson about Grace.
I was doing some computations - I was trying to figure out how I could possibly save some more money with what seemed to be an endless stack of bills. I spoke with my father - very hesitant to call and ask for "daddy's help" because I am 37 years old. We discussed my auto loan and I told him I was paying far more interest on my wonderful car than I could be if he was willing to take a little time to help me refinance it. I told him that I would understand completely if he didn't feel comfortable being a part of a refinance with me. He asked some important questions and I think that they were completely valid. He wanted to make sure that this was the right thing for both of us.
With Dad's help, I was able to bring down my interest on the car from about 19% to 3.98% which saved me more than $170 per month. Dad didn't owe this to me. There was nothing he was required to do - especially when you consider the fact that this was not the first time that he has offered to help in my life. But he had grace and he gave it willingly to me...again.
Parents who love their children unconditionally and want what's best for them will never dismiss an opportunity to show them grace. I was so thankful - I emailed my father immediately after we ended our phone call with the new finance company. I said "I don't even have words to tell you how grateful I am Dad..." and he responded "you don't have to - your voice said it all when you heard your new interest rate".
Undeserved grace is the most wonderful feeling.
My dad always expressed his sadness that this song wasn't played at my wedding. I know I am almost 13 years late, Daddy...but you know what? Better late than never. In my mind, I am holding your hand in mine now...and you're smiling at me - you almost always have a smile on your face.
Thank you for still being an example of a wonderful person and a fabulous father - one who can still give grace to me so willingly, after all these years. I love you very much.
No comments:
Post a Comment