Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Recovering with GRACE from a kick to the stomach

Ever had one of those times where you were just minding your own business and someone came along and kicked you in the stomach? Not REALLY kicked you in the stomach - you just saw something or experienced something and it was akin to the feeling you would get if someone literally saw you on the ground and took their size 10 giant boot and just hauled off and WHAM. The pain almost made you sick and made you double over and clutch your abdomen and you just felt vulnerable and sad and a very "why me" feeling?

Yeah. Me too.

I've been a pretty busy person as of late. Rushing here, rushing there...trying to pass a very difficult test that makes me feel like an idiot and really the last thing I could have wanted or needed was to feel kicked in the stomach on top of it all. But of course, we can never plan for those surprise kicks. They just come out of no where anywhere. It's just not possible to prepare for them.

So the best thing to do when they happen is to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and have a very serious conversation with yourself. What exactly happened? Were your defenses down? Were you right to feel kicked or are you being too sensitive?
Was there anything I could have done to prevent this kick? Should I be out for revenge? Should I just sit and pout or should I somehow find a way to prevail?

I asked Emmy how she handles this and she said "sometimes I tell myself it's going to be okay. I calm myself down sometimes because sometimes I get really angry."
She also said "When it's a person who makes me feel that way, I wish I could just say 'darn them!'"

Sometimes you don't have the luxury of letting anyone know that you're upset at the time. Sometimes you have to hold your head high and act as though nothing has happened that has hurt you. Sometimes you have to give up a feeling of anger or frustration when something happens that you had no control over and yet you feel absolutely wounded over. Those times are when absolute honesty with yourself and true strength of character come in. Those are the times where, I believe, we are given God's grace to shine and shimmer instead of lay lifeless and sullen. This is where the average girl trying to make the most of her life becomes a rock star.

How many of you are emotional rock stars? It's not something that they give awards out for, unfortunately. Emotional Rock Stars are never fully appreciated for their strength, but having the ability to morph into one when it matters the most cannot be over-appreciated.

So the next time you feel kicked and badly beaten - especially over something you didn't even see coming - just know that there are a lot of us out there who know exactly how you feel. We should have some sort of underground E.R.S. network of women who become little girls again inside when something painful happens, yet blossom into a powerful and strong woman in order to never give the kicker the right to know that for just an instant - when they were caught off-guard - they were not an emotional rock star.

Grace in being an Emotional Rock Star is absolutely what the best women on earth can try to be. I know I try every day - and especially every time I see that boot closing in.

If a rock star can be called a golden god, I think I can feel pretty content with being known as a "golden goddess"!

No comments:

Post a Comment